Channeling that awesome Nate Dogg album? Naw, double R here and what’s been on my mind. Like the top of the blog says, as a couple of old dudes(we in our 30s yo!), we’ve seen gaming go through some serious transformations. If you’ve heard us on the podcast(we hope you have), you’ll know I’m big into the audio, music, etc. of gaming. We’ve seen games go from the simple bleep-bloops, to the NES days which has music known as chip tunes today. Super Nintendo rolled around and brought “CD quality” sound as the box put it. Then once games were stored on disc, there was no limitation to the music quality of games. Sure, sound effects may not have been up to snuff all the time, voice acting too, but bigger and better chips were put in the consoles. So here we are today, where if you play a lot of games with your eyes closed, you’d think you were watching a big hollywood movie.
Back in the 16-bit days, once I got a feel for the game’s sound, I could just throw on a Wu-Tang Clan CD and zone out. Effectively killing 2 entertainment birds with one stone, but today’s a little different for me. Real world and all that good stuff, free time is precious, and we have to really balance our entertainment options, what I usually call my ‘eff off’ time. Because really, talk to some people, and god forbid if I’m not doing anything productive in my free time. You know the type, where it’s okay to sit and read a book for an hour, but if you sit and play a video game for that time, there’s something wrong with you. Okay, I’m veering off topic here, that’s another subject for another day. Anyways…
I may not consume nowhere near as much new music as I did when I was 15, but I do like to listen to podcasts. Looking at my weekly rotation, I got 9 of them on that plate….now that’s alot. I’ll get back to that in minute. With today’s games, audio cues and sound effects are pretty important to listen to. In Gears Of War, when the music starts to pump, you know shit’s on. Then you get the sound that tells you the area’s clear and you can breathe again. In shooters, surround sound is awesome, not just in quality, but adding to the gameplay. Hey, if there’s a dude behind you to the left, you’ll literally know it because of the surround sound. Sound has to invoke emotional response too sometimes, take horror games for example. The sound plays a big part in instilling fear into the player. And then there’s the actual music quality. Man, I appreciate some good musical scores I tell ya…the Halos, Bioshocks, and Silent Hills are few franchises that come to mind.
So what I’m basically saying is, that how I used to play aurally when I was 15, I can’t really do as much anymore. Obviously by choice, but I’d really hate to miss out on the awesome work that goes into videogame audio. But today’s gaming does give me a compromise, in the way of downloadable games. Check out my reviews and you’ll know I go through my fair share. What’s great is, with most of them, I can hear what they have to offer, but since they’re small experiences, you don’t have to monitor the sound the whole time. And I can throw on that Wu-Tang album…I can listen listen to one of those podcasts…I can hold a conversation with someone without missing an important cue. Videogame sound is great and I love it. I get that there’s cats out there who couldn’t care less. Hey, it’s all good, different strokes for different folks and all that good stuff. But to the peeps who have any kind of appreciation for videogame sound, how do you guys like to rock it?
Richie and I get silly, talk about silly people, silly happens ok? We talk about in game rage, blizzard suing some kids, psp games and their lack of handheldness – the ps2 mini, richie’s crack of the month: Mafia 2 and the halo reach leak. Join us for the 45th Podcast
So by now errrrbody has played Starcraft 2. It’s a fantastic game with totally unexpected depth of game play for a RTS. Online multiplayer is a tad bit, Asian? Or, lesson’s in getting beat down by 12 year olds? My 1-10 record speaks volume’s to my sick RTS skills. But that is not my biggest observation. It’s that now, a month later, everyone I know is back to playing World of Warcraft. I expected some numbers to go back, I mean, it’s crack. You always go back. But, jesus christmas! Everybody I know is back to playing wow and a dude is getting a bit lonely playing against the computer. Was this some grand plan to get people back into WoW? Doubtful.
So tell me is your friend list (all 2 of them) full of people playing WoW? I’m feeling the itch so, does starcraft 2 make you want to play wow?
Quite possibly one of the most overplayed movie songs than “dont you forget about me”…Temptation by New Order.
Check out those SHORTS.
Anyone who is anyone watches Mad Men on AMC. And if you watch that show you’ll instantly want to teleport back to 1960, drink lots of booze AT WORK, and be the uber creative type at a creative agency. Today I seriously doubt that many of these agency’s exist on their own, they are more part of a interactive agency now. They will almost always have some kind of web team. I mean, who really designs for print anymore amirite? Now, I’m not saying magazines are gone and print media is totally dead – it’s not – I’m saying that we’re in the great decline of it. In 10 years we will have children who will never have had to read a newspaper for the sunday funnies. They can just have gone to Penny Arcade.com. Scarey right? Not really. Anyways, I’m here to leave my hate on “why I would never work in an agency ever fucking again” not talk about the decline of print media.
1. You are a slave to not one but two bosses. You literally will always have two people you answer to no matter how high up you are. They will be: Your boss/owner, and the Client. I wont even get into the ball punching pain of being entry level where you get the 5 bosses PLUS the Client bosses all telling you different things and expecting you to know exactly what they mean.
2. Interoffice communication is not coordination – it’s drama and petty powerplays. I’m looking square at Project Managers. That saying “shit rolls down hill” has never been more appropriate than inside of an agency. If there is any reason for a project manager to shirk blame they will. “It was the designer’s fault.” No matter if you have 10,000 emails saying “here it is” and video proof of the PM getting bj’s in the owners office while holding a sign saying “fuck this place I’m not doing any work ever”, that pm will tell the client and you will always be at fault. My favorite part is the push over project manager who says that you have to encode a tape in less than a hour (with the tape being an hour long and not in your possession), or provide a mock up for a site in less than an hour. Who then says something like….the below example to force you to frantically do it.
3. Get used to always being in fear of losing your job “due to the client leaving”. This could either because you did/didn’t fuck up (see above), or because the client is pulling the project. And since there is never a time where we’re having ticker tape parade’s saying ‘we are in a economic boom time’, get used to years and years of this. It’s a bleak reality.
4. You have to be ok with fleecing a company out of millions of dollars more than it should ever be spending. This might be my weakest example as I never really worked on the $$ side of projects until the very end, but I worked on a million dollar project where we spent an intial 50k investment, my time…and…uh….Email Rescourses? Yet we charged this client 7 figures. I couldn’t take it and this is a open for you to leave your agency go to THAT company with the solution. Be sure to drop subtle hints at your new company about how they are being fleeced in your interview “by saying strategic improvements by cutting costs from vendors”, or something to that effect.
5. Get used to Company Parties being the worst shit ever. True Story time! This is where the owners son will suddenly hit on anything that is vaguely resembling a woman in front of everyone. Or, better yet, that tool that you always see brooding in the corner will suddenly lash out at whatever he blames his pathetic existence on after having 10 drinks, and punch people in the face sending them to hospitals. Which leads me to
6. People get fired for the dumbest shit/Are allowed to stay on despite doing the dumbest shit. This is easily the most mind boggling of situations. I saw one guy get fired because a project manager didn’t like a programmer. In the same breath you’ll have another developer who will spend his entire day on a message board, I mean, fuck me, this guy has posted over 37,000 posts over the past 5 years. That turns out roughly to an average of 20 posts a day for the past >5< years. What the fuck? Who spends that much time on a message board? I by comparison average less than 1 a day. This is also the same programmer that would consistently have shit break on him, yell at you that you broke it, then upon realizing it was his shitty ass programming, shirk blame (see 2) and say “something broke”. Additionally That tool I mentioned in the above paragraph? HE STILL WORKS THERE AFTER PUNCHING OUT PEOPLE 2 YEARS IN A ROW. WHAT. THE. FUCK.
7. Get used to working insane hours and being vastly underpaid – I came in at a fucking measly 16.00$ an hour and 4 years later I was making 40k. 40k is entry level pay for any normal company and it took me 4 years to get there. Their 401k is so fucking amazingly awful that nevermind you are vested at 5 years but at 5 years you get 1/2 of 3%. That means you have to put in 3% for them to give an additional 1.5%. Dont even think about “time off”. You cant take sick days because they are counted as vacation time. WHAT THE FUCK. Comp time is conveniently erased.
8. Get used to being Vastly Underappreciated – I once brought in some Dunkin Donuts because I would stop there are get a jelly donut fix. Getting 6 donuts is 3$. That’s not exactly breaking the bank. So I would bring it in for the floor. I had the head project manager come up to me in private and tell me to “stop bringing in the donuts”. Now…I’m not the guy who needs accolades, but I’m not the same guy who likes being shit on because something was one pixel off or because I’m bringing in donuts. But seriously get used to never getting a ‘good job’. That is all done client/pm/owner side. I could put in this as 9 but I wont. You’ll never get invited to those client parties where the pm’s take all the credit and get fucking wasted. My theory is that you are not invited because you’ll turn into the guy in #5.
9. Be prepared for some 21 year old college kid to come in, work undernearth you, and take a fucking awful salary. The great side part of this is that we have such a moronic log jam of kids with no skill sets coming into the workplace that they’ll accept anything to “get started”. I once spent 3 months cleaning up a fresh out of college kid’s work. He spent half his time in the bathroom (probably the person in example #10). I gave him a reference because I felt so bad for him see: stupid decision. Anyhow, this has now in turn let the company think you are now too expensive (at 40k lol). True Story time again. Well..fuck..if you cant tell that this is all a true story then..yeah. Anyhow. They hired 2 people in a few months prior to me leaving at, get this, 10.00$ an hour. I made that working at a call center. My job is a highly specialized job requiring a vast amount of business know how in order to continuously succeed how the hell can you ever expect to, hiring schmucks off the streets. It’s the worst learning curve.
10. Your office will never be clean. Ever. Deal with it. Either the business spends it all on your furniture and brand new macs to show off to the client so, you then dont have money left over to clean. The other side is they are so cheap that they wont clean it and request that you(!!!!) clean it. In my final weeks someone had a problem and decided to face every direction while bent over in the bathroom. They crapped all over the seat, handles and the wall. I called up the guy running the show and appraised him of the situation. He told me there are cleaning supplies in the bathroom and to clean it. And my last and most favorite story of the cleanliness of that place was on day one I went into the bathroom. In the ceiling lights was a dead roach. On my final day I went into the bathroom and pieces of that roach was still there.
Want to know how long it takes a roach to disintergrate? 4 years.
What the hell is Gamescom anyway?? According to the wiki, it sounds like a European E3 of sorts that started a couple years ago. We probably posted stuff from it last year….can’t live in the past man! Haha, anyways, some new stuff on the PS3 front.
Resistance 3 live action trailer. Hmmm. Taking a cue from those live action Halo spots are we?? Ehh, who cares. I’m in the ‘loooove Resistance 1’ camp, part 2….not so much(did I review that? I better jump on it). Hopefully 3 brings me back around.
New Ratchet & Clank trailer. I love those games, I really do….the last game was awesome, it just doesn’t have that compelling aspect to make me wanna finish it right away. What I’m saying is that I wanna finish it before this comes out….and what I’m also saying is-*screech* ooh, 4-player online co-op!
Another InFAMOUS 2 trailer, cool. The first game had some real promise, but janky battle/enemy design kept me from loving it. Let’s hope the sequel rights all the wrongs.
Cooking by the Book – Lazy Town – Little John Remix by Mastgrr
I’d love to have a mp3 of this song for download, oh well. Yet another nsfw video for today….but…prepare to laugh.
There have been some epic youtube videos of gamers raging. I’m sure you’ve seen the World of Warcraft Kid Freakout, and the Duke Nukem Ventrillo Freak out. Balllllls of steal.ha ha. But, ladies and gentlemen we have another entry into the Gamer rage viral video category. The new entry this time is from the game Team Fortress 2. Much like Counterstrike manchildren play this game excessively to over compensate for their lack of….anything?…in their lives.
If you are at work, put on headphones.
Rich Dog here, after a long hiatus of drawing a blank on what to write about, I just wanna express how cool I think this trailer is. Props to Jamie for throwin up the trailer before I even knew what Irrational Games was announcing. I knew they were showing something that day, totally forgot though. I was sure it was going to be a new IP. Ah well, anyways.
The first Bioshock was probably my favorite game of ‘07. That jawn grabbed me right off the bat and I was compelled all the way through. What an awesome gaming experience, it’s not often where you get a twist ending in a game of Shyamalan proportions….pre Village of course, his movies kinda blow now. His new one looks interesting though. Ok, back on topic, Bioshock was definitely one of those 360 graphical showstoppers as Jamie mentioned. Allow me to go to the well once more, Bioshock 2 on the other hand, “I was not that impressed with BioShock 2 it was still a quality game”. Nail on the head bro…..I really dig Bioshock 2, but it’s more like Bioshock 1.5. More of the same game if you will, which isn’t a bad thing. It just took a long while for the game to come into it’s own for me, being a true Big Daddy is an interesting dynamic, and it’s still mad fun. It was just…..unnecessary. The first game was such a unique thing, it’s hard to make that kinda lightning strike twice. Which bring us to how this new game looks to be.
Irrational Games brought us the first Bioshock….the core team did not make part 2. They kept some people on board obviously. But Bioshock Infinite will probably be considered more so a true sequel. Moving from the rich underwater world of the 50s and 60s, we’re being moved into a city in the skies set in 1912. Throw some political and historical themes with mystery in for good measure, and here you have the city of Columbia, the yang to Rapture’s ying. The trailer may be CG, but if the previous Bioshock trailers were anything to go by, the final game probably isn’t far from it. First person shooting while wielding powers will make a return. The mechanical looking person with an actual working heart looks to be just as creepy as it was the first time I saw a Big Daddy. Apparently the narrative isn’t connected to the Bioshocks, so it should be a fresh story and hopefully something that will keep me interested till the end. My only beef? The dang thing doesn’t drop till 2012, man, that’s a long way off to introduce a game. I am looking forward to it though. And the music, can’t wait to hear it, Bioshock remains one of my favorite scores for a game. Dropping on PC, 360, and PS3 sometime in 2012.
The title Says it all. This has nothing to do with gaming. The idea came to me as I was walking back from the C-tower to the train. It’s usually a 10-15 minute walk depending on lights. It’s a perfect time to squeeze a few tunes in. So Here goes.
Take 5 – Northside
Alison – Slowdive
Beneath – Ride
Headmaster Ritual – The Smiths
Mersey Paradise – Stone Roses
G4tv has an announcement from one of our favorite series Bioshock. The new game will be called Bioshock Infinite. Is this a Fallout “New Vegas” or actually Bioshock 3? I have to say I’m a tad bit confused. At first when I saw Bioshock Infinite I thought “muppets…IN SPAAAACE” than oo …bioshock 3. Is not numbering your games the new black? We shall see.
Although I was not that impressed with BioShock 2 it was still a quality game. A third installment of the series wouldn’t be a bad thing per se’. Maybe I hold nostalgia for Bioshock 1, that moment 3 hours in where you just went “ahhhhh” as you get your first abilities, or maybe I’m just a dick. It could be that bioshock has become one of the quintessential xbox360 games with it’s visuals, gameplay and omfg will you look at that WATER effects. It’s not THE but..one of. Maybe we should drop that in the podcast. When you look back after the next generation what game will you most associate with the xbox? What game sums up your xbox experience so far?
Anyhow, enough of my psycho babble here’s some video footage below!
BioShock Infinite is set for release in 2012 for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PC.
Yes SON. YES. We are back and skypeing it up! We months later, we gonna find you, we gonna find you, so you can run and tell that. HOMEBOY. In our return we are hectic as ever talkin’ bout’ Starcraft 2 – Fable 2, Red Dead Redemption, and general bs. Listen to the Podcast!
Getting into the Video Game Industry – Lesson’s in Punching yourself 1000 times – only to not get your dream job
G4 is doing a fantastic idea as a content provider, posting a blog and subsequent video series “how des one become a indycar driver”! Yes, I am a fan of Noel Gallagher. You cannot deny my perchance for stealing someone else’s idea and churning out the hits.
ANYWAYS. The point is there’s a great comment in there from all the hopeful’s/helpless’s.
I’ve been playing games for as long as I can remember. I’m 20 now and I can still remember the great times playing the first 3 Super Mario Bros games on the NES.
Read that through again. They are 20. And remember playing the first 3 mario games. Ahem. Ahem. The NES was released in 1985 a full 5 years prior to your birth. On the off chance that your nintendo survived the 10-15 years after release in time for for you to actually even have a memory of playing it (the snes was released in 91!?) I am seriously going to doubt your fucking comment.
God I hate the internet sometimes.
To read more click this
life’s a bitch and then you die.
I just completed the protoss level “utter darkness” . I got all three achievements, on the normal setting of course. I was able to play the most defensive game of my life. It’s as if this level was written for me. I must have had 100 turrets going at one time on top of a masssssssive fleet. I was rolling around the map like crazy on the three choke points. I did manage to get the 2 achievements, kill 250 extra zerg after the 1500, and kill 750 extra zerg after the 1500. I ended up with 2300 dead. zerg before I was overrun. My eyes are so damn dry from clicking like crazy. I really just cannot emote how amazing that was. Am I too lame to admit I got chills WHILE playing this level?
I got chills.
Here is a screenshot of In Utter Darkness