We spoke a little about this on the 26th podcast and I wanted to post some of the notes we had from the podcast. Not too much to add really other than we’re excited but here are the details of the Xbox only releases for the Holiday season as of today. Here goes nothing….
Halo 3 Odst
Release Date September 22nd
On 9/22 Halo 3: ODST will be released it is a new, stand-alone expansion to the Halo saga that lets players experience the events leading up to the epic story told in Halo 3 through the eyes of an entirely new character the ODST (Orbital Drop Shock Trooper), as they search for clues leading to the whereabouts of their scattered squad and the motivations behind the Covenant’s invasion of New Mombasa. The game adds a new dimension to an all-encompassing universe that gamers around the world have known and loved since the release of the first Halo game in late 2001.
New Campaign, New Hero, New Tactics
Halo 3: ODST allows players to explore dangerous new ground, search the dark, abandoned streets of New Mombasa for clues, and fight back against the Covenant invasion from multiple perspectives. Dropping in as “the rookie,” a new member of an elite squad of Orbital Drop Shock Troopers (ODST) sent into New Mombasa on a classified recon mission, you’ll be armed with specialized weaponry and upgraded technology, including silenced weapons and a VISR enhanced vision mode. Separated from your squad, you’ll have to scour the city for clues in order to learn what happened to Buck, Dare, Dutch, Mickey, and Romeo. As you collect new clues, you’ll experience the story from their perspectives, fighting through the occupied city hours earlier.
- Halo 3: ODST contains 1,750 new Xbox LIVE achievement points, as well as new weapons, technology and an invite to join the Halo: Reach beta in 2010.
- Stand-alone expansion to Halo 3 that doesn’t require ownership of the previous game to play.
- New campaign, hero and tactics from the Halo universe as players take on the role of a rookie in the Orbital Drop Shock Troopers sent into New Mombasa.
- 4-player co-op “Firefight” mode offers a whole new way to play Halo with friends both via system link and over Xbox LIVE.
- Along with all the existing Halo 3 maps, ODST contains three new multiplayer Halo 3 maps: Heretic, Longshore, and Citadel.
- New game modes such as single-player season mode which puts you through a completely personalized racing calendar includes 200+ different events, including Circuit, Oval, Drag, Drift and Timed Events.
- Something to match every car lover’s dream including more than 400 fully customizable and tunable cars from over 50 of the world¿s leading manufacturers and 100+ international tracks.
- Look and feel of a modern racing game built from the ground up using with the most advanced physics models, artificial intelligence and damage calculations.
- Gameplay assists including auto-braking, gameplay rewind and auto-tuning that cater to how each individual drives and evolves with you over time as your skills increase.
- In-game elements such as Livery Editor, Auction House and Deep Tuning Garage that along with content via Xbox LIVE, allow players to express their car passion through user-generated content.
Release Date October 29th
Grand Theft Auto IV’s second downloadable episode, The Ballad of Gay Tony injects Liberty City with an overdose of guns, glitz, and grime. As Luis Lopez, part-time hoodlum and full-time assistant to legendary nightclub impresario Tony Prince (aka “Gay Tony”), players will struggle with the competing loyalties of family and friends, and with the uncertainty about who is real and who is fake in a world in which everyone has a price.
Grand Theft Auto IV‘s The Ballad of Gay Tony will sashay into stores on October 29th as part of the Episodes from Liberty City retail disc. While hog ridin’ formed the draw of GTA IV‘s most recent DLC episode, The Lost and Damned, it appears that the sparkly nightlife and parachuting out of helicopters is what you’ll find described with enthusiasm on the back of the box.
As promised, I’m throwin up some more info on ODST’s multiplayer(now that we know more that is). Joystiq cleared the air, thanks to Bungie being at Gamescom this year. Here’s what the Bungie guys had to say “It’s all the multiplayer maps we released with Halo 3, then all of the DLC we’ve released since then, along with three new maps.” Halo 3 ODST will be 2 discs, the 1st being the single player campaign(holla), and the 2nd being the multiplayer component. Great idea if you ask me, I can’t wait, already got my copy on pre-order 🙂
If you hop on over to one of the blogs we heart, Kotaku, you can check out some footage of 3 new Halo3 maps in action. They’re gonna be on a separate disc that will come with Halo 3 ODST(Xbox360). I assumed ODST would ship with the Halo 3 multiplayer component and all the previous map updates….I guess I’m not so sure now :-/….well, ODST is due out in a little over a month, so we’ll know for sure soon. Man, Halo online still looks fun as hell….
Rockstar Games announced today that we’ll see the latest GTA IV dlc on Xbox360, “The Ballad of Gay Tony”, dropping on October 29th. We’ll also be getting “The Lost and the Damned” bundled with “The Ballad of Gay Tony” on disc without the need to have the GTA IV disc to play. They’re calling it “Grand Theft Auto:Episodes From Liberty City”. According to Joystiq, the download will be coming in at 1600 microsoft points, or 20$ to us humans, and $39.99 for the disc compilation. The GTA freak in me is getting hyped…
I got to thinking about this one the other day when Activision announced that the ‘Call of Duty’ name is back in the Modern Warfare 2 title…….whatever Activision, what we have here is an awesome military first person shooter and it’s upcoming sequel should be as great if not better. Here’s my thoughts on the game that took the series out of the tired WW2 theme (which Activision made sure to take it back to). I played through it on the Xbox360, the same experience can be had on the PC and the PS3 as well.
The Good – The single player campaign has some of the most intense first person shooter action around, it’s top notch quality from beginning to end. As the title implies it’s in a modern day setting so all the weapons are current, and the locales are straight from today’s headlines. Levels that put a new spin on your average shooter such as the ‘Death From Above’ level, and the sniper levels are incredibly tense. Tons of cinematic moments weave seamlessly into the gameplay. Graphics engine that’s detailed, fast and smooth, so much in fact that the next game in the series(World At War) used the same engine and runs great on the major platforms(PC,360,PS3). Multiplayer that many gamers swear by, it’s still high up on the xbox live activity list.
The Bad – The campaign is VERY short…probably take most gamers like 6hrs. to get through…AI isn’t always the smartest…umm, there’s not much else in this game that I think is bad. Maybe the intensity will tire some out *shrugs*.
The Ugly – The rap song that plays during the ending credits….talk about out of place.
Whoowee, I hope so, and for the love of gaming, please be affordable! Techradar.com has an article up that says an analyst is predicting the release of the drive when Project Natal ships. Though I hope it were sooner, it only makes sense now that Microsoft will soon be offering full 360 games to buy straight off the Xbox Live Marketplace. Add to that, 1080p video rentals as well….not only is that old 20GB drive rendered useless, but the 60GB as well…and the 120GB will only fill up fast. I’ve been bellyaching about what Microsoft does as far as hard drive prices for a long time now….I mean, c’mon, 150$ for a 120GB drive, when I just bought a 1 terabyte external drive for my pc for less than 100bux! Let’s hope for some good news soon.
So you just got a new xbox 360 and you’re not staring at the wall wondering what in the world to purchase. Maybe the 59.99 new game price tag is scaring you, maybe you don’t want to pay MORE on top of the new system you just bought, maybe you have to run or you are ok with spending money for what’s considered to be the best games. Well here’s a little guide towards purchasing games for the new xbox 360 owner. I’m going to post this with the thought that my partner in crime will add something in the comments! 🙂
Away we go.
1. Gears of War – Exclusive to Xbox – First person shooter, Mature Language. This is the game that really kicked off the xbox 360 craze in my book. This game is to the 360 what Halo was to the original Xbox. I read a stat that nearly all of the new consoles in the year this game out were bought with a copy of Gears of War. It’s a Third person with a switch to First person shooter set in a post apocolyptic world. You kill aliens while cursing, yelling and taking a heck of a lot of cover. The graphics are gorgeous. It’s also a moderate length game. Only the most extreme gamers will finish this in one setting though. You’re looking at 12 or so hours. The best part is that there is a good amount of replay value due to the harder settings. See Also Halo 3, Gears of War 2, Rainbow 6 Vegas, and Call of Duty.Price 19.99 used.
2. Lego Star Wars – Not Exclusive to any system – RPG-light action. Family oriented. This is a wonderful game for the non shooter/blood types. Maybe you want to jump from your nintendo days into something a little more. This game is a two button game solving puzzles and jumping over spaces on your own or with a teammate. Sound familiar? The story is easy to digest and very light humor that will leave you giggling in parts. You can easily put in 80-100 hours. About 8x the normal game.You can also subsiute Lego Star Wars with Indiana jones, batman, or the new Lego Harry Potter (no release date). The Lego Star Wars one is considered to be the best of the 3 due to the following of a well known story. Price 17.99
3. Grand Theft Auto 4 – Non-exclusive to any system – Heavy Violence,Graphic Language,Sexual Content. If you loved any gta game before this, this game will drive you wild with excitement. I think our kid is still giggling over this game and it’s been a year since release. There is a MASSIVE world to run around in. You’ll do any number of jobs within the city. The radio stations are as varied as they are epic in it’s quality. The cutscenes are no joke. The violence is over the top so this is not geared towards the faint of heart. Price 39.99
4. Fallout 3 – Core gameplay not exclusive to any system but DLC is exclusive for a time. Heavy Violence. We constantly talk up this game on the podcast. So much so we devoted an entire one to it. It’s extremely easy to pick up for the uninitiated gamer though it make take a hour or two to get “into” the game. It starts off slow but when it picks up, it’s an EXPLOSION. There is enormous amounts of game-play in either 3rd person or 1st person and you’re not exclusivly set to either setting. There are multiple updates for the game that cost 10$ more that add more content into the game. You can specialize your character to have abilities and weapons that make you unique in your own way. I’ve talked to multiple people on how they play the game and everyone says something different. See also : Obvilion (fantasy version) and Mass Effect. Price 54.99
5. Fable 2 – Exclusive to xbox360 – Mature theme’s, Action-adventure. This is a “role playing game” of sorts. To me this game is a almost 100. With the only exception being lack of clothing you are given. It’s THAT close to being perfect for me. The game-play can be challenging at times but 90% of your game-play is playing part of a wonder full fantasy story line. You are given vast expanses of land, though not as large as other games, to explore. You’re given a dog that does commands like fetch a ball or play dead….And you’re given a dog. Which is so awesome it’s worth mentioning twice. Casting spells is easy, maybe too easy, you just press and hold a button but still fun. You can make your spells stronger through leveling up screens and nearly every choice you make has a outcome on your story. It’s WoW without the addiction. There is DLC for this game but not to the extent of Fallout 3. Price 39.99 used
The first thing I am sure that comes to every ones mind is, “Advent What!?” And indeed you should. This game was released in 2005 by developer GlyphX Games and unfortunately is now present in the developers graveyard of games. I originally bought this game upon release but it can now be found on Steam for $9.99 thanks to publisher Majesco.
I wanted to review this game because it is one of my all time favorite games and one I thoroughly enjoyed playing. Its greatness can be truly found its script written by Orson Scott Card and Cameron Dayton. Orson Scott Card is well known in the Sci-fi novelist world for have written such great novels such as Ender’s Game, a fantastic book and highly recommended.
This is one of the only games I have sat and played through from beginning to end without stopping. Now on to the show!
Good: You play as Gideon Wyeth a space pilot who is charged, as well as his brother, with the duty to pilot a shuttle carrying human diplomats that will make first contact with the aliens on board their ship. Once they meet the aliens the say they came to warn the Human race that some bad bugger named Seekers are headed to wipe them out of existence. Unfortunately a warning too little too late because the Seekers succeed and Gideon as well as a few other are the last remaining humans. With the help of the good Aliens they help to unlock a hidden potential in humans that allow them to use special powers that humans have potential for but fell away from along ago in their forgotten history. Unlocking new powers and set on revenge this shit is about to get real.
This game is setup to be a 3rd person shooter with the ability to use a power or gun in either hand. In the PC version of this game Left clicking would fire the assigned power/gun to it and right clicking would fire its assigned power/gun. Gamers associated with the Diablo Series can quickly adapt and truly appreciate this setup allowing for a barrage of blaster fire and some power combos. As you progress through the game you are introduced to new powers and abilities which you then can level up the more you use them. Eventually you get so used to using only powers and the need of guns becomes irrelevant. The best power by far is introduced to you later in the game where once fully leveled you can slow down time and truly kick some bug arses.
The best part about this game is that graphically everything from the backgrounds to the use of the powers are quite beautiful and when paired with an amazing epic sounding soundtrack and script this game truly shines. You are left with an immersion into the story and just want to know what was going to happen next.
Bad: Sadly there are a few problems with this games that hinder its excellence. There was a few times when the bad guys beat the living crap out of me and no matter how many times or different ways of doing things differently be it leveling up a power for an hour just to loose it all cause I failed miserably. This caused anger and frustration, the dark side definitely arose inside me something only I would wish upon my boss. Eventually I did progress but it wasn’t pretty…
This game came out in the times where games began to invoke choice systems, where one’s choice would influence the outcome of events yet to come. This game only has one key part that gives you this choice and having played through the game both ways the outcome doesn’t really changed anything at all, just simply who accompanies you along the way. Seeming to be a very important issue at the time it eventually just makes you feel like they could have done more with the decision making – story driven content the game barely provides. It appeared that they wanted to do more with it but had their efforts cut short.
Ugly: The very unfortunate and and worst thing about this game is that the other two games that were to follow were canceled leaving you with the thoughts of “WTF NOOOOOOO!” after being pulled into the story for so long. This game was even suppose to tie in with a comic book series but that too seemed to come up short as well because of the game being canceled and the company going the way of yoga. The game company and series has become one with the force…
So, more halo news. I’m sure our wonderkid is jumping up and down as he’s reading this information. No word on what exactly this is but hey. More Halo isen’t really a bad thing? Unless this is going the way of the Star Wars Franchise? Here’s the trailer for Halo Reach from the E3 Convention.
Everyone knows about the announcement at E3 was Project Natal, that spread almost faster than the Keyboard Cat MeME. There is finally a picture up of that.
And it looks like Hal from Space Odyssey but with 3 eyes. Hello Dave.
Ok, so the zombies are the new moustachey eyetalians but that’s ok since it’s in the Fallout 3 world. To all my brethren in Power Armor, or Tesla Armor our next battle awaits. And this time in ZOMBIE LAND MWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH. Why does this scream a October release? Is it the zommmbieeeee’s. Ok. enough with that zombie smeg. The new trailer for the Point Lookout dlc looks pretty spooky if you ask me. I might go all RP with this and wear some wastelander gear instead of my power armor. That will last about .2 seconds though i’m sure.
I’m in! 3rd person halo!? I love you Halo ODST! I DONT CARE WHAT ANYONE SAYS. LA LA LA LA LA LA LA. it looks saaaweeeeeet
Oh man this looks awesome. I’m a big beatles fan, who isen’t? But Beatles Rock Band looks pretty slick. We reported awhile back about the instruments/peripherial’s for Beatles Rock Band and now here’s the trailer straight from e3!
I know rich posted this jawn but I wanted to put up another picture of the Halo ODST wireless Controller. Boom. Will you look at that.
I pulled this from another places wonderfull coverage 😉 I should say that we’ll do an opinion piece on why we think this is the future of gaming. Not saying it’s the “saviour” but rather where gaming, and movies are going. Boom.
“Xbox Live’s Marc Whitten announced that, starting in August, Xbox 360 owners will be able to download full Xbox 360 games. Titles shown in a dashboard mock-up included Assassin’s Creed, Mass Effect, BioWare, LEGO Star Wars and Oblivion.
New games will be offered each week.
Microsoft points will not be required, as the service will support credit card purchases.
Whitten declined to say how closely the games will be released to regular retail releases. Prices were not announced”
I came across a Multiplayer CO-OP video of the new Madden 10. I cant lie, the graphics look really good in this video. It’s really evident the game has evolved over the past 10 years. I will say that it looks cool that they are saying they have added a new co-op. Maybe I missed it and it’s “on-line” CO-OP but hasen’t that been in the game for a long time now? I really seem to remember doing this with a friend in college on my little 22 inch tube tv and just saying what the heck. I may be trippin’ on this y’all.
Coming this fall, the 2nd piece of exclusive(timed?) xbox360 content for GTAIV. In this episode you fill the shoes of Luis Lopez, another secondary character in the GTAIV universe, and another guy tied to the big diamond heist in the main game. The other guy being Johnny Klebitz of “The Lost And Damned” fame. I’m sure you’ll get to do all the cool gangster stuff that we’re accustomed to in a GTA game, the main thing being that you work for Anthony “Gay Tony” Prince, hence the title. Here’s a quick description from the kotaku post, “According to the official announcement, “players will struggle with the competing loyalties of family and friends, and with the uncertainty about who is real and who is fake in a world in which everyone has a price.”….yup, sounds like GTA, can’t wait to play this.
Chillin on kotaku, and lookee what we have here….awesome news for my Fallout 3 luvin PS3 brethren, and more awesome news for all. PS3 users get to tussle with the last 3 pieces of DLC that came out for Fallout 3 on 360 and PC…but then there’s also 2 new expansions coming.
“Point Lookout – Explore a massive new swampland area filled with new quests and content. Point Lookout will be available in late June for Xbox 360 and PC. Cost will be 800 points or $9.99. It will be available through Xbox Live and Games for Windows Live and through token cards available at retail. Point Lookout will be available on PS3 after the first three DLCs have been released.
Mothership Zeta – The aliens have returned, and they’re pissed. Experience an alien abduction first hand and find out if you’re tough enough to survive. Mothership Zeta is scheduled for release in late July for Xbox 360 and PC. Cost will be 800 points or $9.99. It will be available through Xbox Live and Games for Windows Live and through token cards available at retail. Mothership Zeta will be available on PS3 after Point Lookout.”
*Update* “A Fallout 3 Game of the Year edition will be available in October. It will include the original game plus all five add-ons for $59.99 for Xbox 360 and PS3, and $49.99 for PC.”
Man, I steamrolled through this DLC. For better or worse. Here goes nothing.
Good: You cant really mess up fallout 3, at least for us so more of it is always nice to have. It’s a interesting take for an add-on and works well in the context of the game. The change of pace from dark to light land textures were needed. There is a good amount of “mountain” country which to me didn’t exist in fallout 3. It all felt flat apart from boulders. DC is not really known for that I guess. The addition of the Gauss Rifle is awesome, the weapon just flat out destroy’s things. It has a knockback effect that is so clutch when fighting the new enemies in game.
Bad: Not enough Quests, just the main chain and one side quest. Or did I miss it? I also thought there were not enough enemies around to get XP from. You don’t take your weapons in, this is a simulation, but it was hard to let go of all the awesome Power Armor I had, weapons and aid. You couldn’t do it any other way but, still, it stung a lil’.
Ugly: This should not be 10$. It should be 5$. We discuss this on the podcast.
Just seen on joystiq that there’s a Gears of War 2 map expansion disc(I’m assuming the disc part) coming out.*Edit*-Got too excited, sounds like there’s a disc and it’ll be on Xbox Live for 20bux on July 28th. Now I normally don’t care about these things cuz I rarely do the online multiplayer thing anymore, but this is what caught my eye, a deleted campaign chapter called “Road to Ruin.” The J-man and I have expressed our love for the Gears series many times on the cast, so I’m stoked to have more campaign love…..is that weird?…WHO CARES?!? GIMME MORE GEARS!! 🙂 Check out Marcus and Dom pimpin Theron outfits!